The Flight of the Boomerang: On time? Delayed? Or cancelled?
It's been 2 years since I was poached by my then direct competitor and now my employer. This week I heard from my now direct competitor and ex-employer. An opportunity to discuss with me, my former boss said. A lunch date was set.
Train of thoughts... What could it be? Why me? They're taking me back? Seriously? Do people even do that... leave for the direct competition then come back? It took me 7 months to accept the offer from the competitor and to go back is almost unthinkable! I was asked then if I'd ever go back. Some even boldly predicted I'd definitely be back in 6 months. I didn't think I would, or at least I wished I wouldn't HAVE to, but with all the diplomacy I could muster, I responded with "never say never".
Fast forward to the day before my 2nd anniversary at current job and I find myself at the restaurant which I've deliberately avoided during business hours; former work colleagues walking past on their way to the gym; well done steak with light and fluffy mashed potato in front of me, and that familiar voice and english accent pitching an idea that I didn't think, or maybe didn't wish, would be possible - a role, bigger and higher, back at their court.
It's exactly the opportunity I'd seriously consider had today been July 2011 as this is when I see myself re-assessing my career direction. Now is just not the right time I thought as I chewed my juicy red meat and with every bite, I reminded myself of how well my employer had looked after me and how there's never been a day that I regretted my choice of jumping ship. I kept these thoughts to myself. I am, after all, entitled to sleep on the proposition. Besides, I am one who always, and I mean always, keep her options open AND I am one who always, and I mean always, have to deliberate on things with her husband whose opinions and arguments matter and are crucial to reaching a decision.
And deliberate we did, quite intensely. Guess I have a phone call to make tomorrow.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home