Where have I been?
I know. It's been ages since I last posted here. Allow me to give the usual, tiresome excuse of being incredibly busy. I'm one to call this a lame excuse as you're only too busy for something or someone because you choose not to make time for it. But tonight, I am making the time. Not so much because I put it in my diary like I do with everything else I need to accomplish these days. It just so happened that it's my birthday. And apart from the rather alarming realization that I am well and truly old, it has been a very nice day for me. Work was unexpectedly less.. like waaaaay less stressful than yesterday when I seriously felt like throwing up as a coping mechanism. Edwin and Cerise joined me for lunch, to which I also invited three of my favourite work associates. Had Japanese for family dinner... beautiful steak salmon. Looking forward to our week long holiday in the Gold Coast next week and maybe an ipod from the hubby although I'm still convincing myself that I actually need and want one. And I am really very happy with my life in general. Can't ask for more. So as you can see, I am in a relaxed mood... a rare moment for me these days. It is my birthday, after all. So, I made the conscious decision to treat myself, have a break and not work from home tonight. Okay... I did access my inbox and checked the new emails but logged out immediately. Didn't reply to any emails, didn't even check my calendar. Whew! I got through it. So, I thought it was the best time to visit an old friend... my blog.
I must also confess that I have been unfaithful. My loyalty has been misplaced in the last 4 months. How it all started was purely accidental, like any other affairs, right? It was unintentional. Never saw it coming. It just happened. The Facebook. June. Hong Kong. I had just finished a week long business trip in Taipei, Taiwan and I was ready to holiday. The problem... my memory stick was full with business trip photos, meaning it wouldn't take any of my holiday photos. Option 1, purchase a new stick. Actually, that never crossed my mind. I thought of it just now. Funny that. Option 2... no, option 1 - get rid of all photos by uploading them... somewhere. But where? I couldn't go to Flicker or Friendster or any of those things you sign up on to connect to people and showcase your photos. I couldn't remember any of my log in names and passwords! Then my work colleague Jo talked me into Facebook. I'd never heard of it til then. At first, I wasn't interested. It was just gonna be another one of those things you sign up on to connect to people and showcase your photos. And what would happen? I would lose interest or wouldn't have the time or wouldn't make the time for it and forget my login name and password. But Jo was convincing and she did propose a solution to my problem. She said it was simple and quick to do and fun to be in it. Still not interested. And then she volunteered she was gonna open an account for me and do all the uploading. Sold! Done deal! Before I knew it, I was uploading the next load of pictures and inviting people to be my friend and getting invitation from people to be their friend. By the time I've come back to Sydney, I found myself editing my status, poking and getting poked, checking other's albums and status and who's become friends with who, hooked in scrabulous (I won, by the way), downloading applications and ugh! What am I doing?! All I wanted was space in my memory stick!
So okay. Facebook is fun and cool and entertaining. But, it didn't give me that precious space to chronicle my thoughts and feelings and the events of my life. Facebook isn't all about me. Facebook isn't me. This blog is. So here I am. Back in the arms of the-not-so-secret-life-of-us.


2 Comments:
I love Facebook, too and a scrabulous addict :-)
But I like to keep my secret identity secret for now and separate facebook from blogging.
Happy birthday dear friend xx
Happy Birthday!! Missy alerted us to it, so I hopped over here to say it myself!!
Post a Comment
<< Home