Sydneysiders
... that's what we are. The Yumuls - husband, daughter and me - have officially mutated from sheep to kangaroos and koalas. It had been nearly four months since we packed all belongings and permanently migrated. As yet, we haven't completely settled down. With still 30 or so boxes to unpack, a functional (thankfully) apartment yet to be transformed into a loving cozy home, a number of official documents yet to be organized, a car yet to be purchased, a whole new lifestyle to get used to and really, a life yet to be sorted out... I estimate it will take us a full year before we can completely shake off the feeling of displacement.
Work has been great.
Extremely busy. I don't remember working this much and this hard at The New Zealand Herald. Certainly not in the wee hours of the morning or after hours and weekends. In fact, in all of my 4 and a half years at NZ Herald I never accessed my work inbox from home like I do now.
Extremely multi-cultural. I am employed by British people, I am surrounded by British, Australians, and a few Kiwis, Italians, Asians. I do business with Australians, Americans and Asians consequently working in various time zones - Australia, Asia which is 3 hours behind and the US which is a day behind... this explains the extended working hours and days.
Work has been great.
Extremely busy. I don't remember working this much and this hard at The New Zealand Herald. Certainly not in the wee hours of the morning or after hours and weekends. In fact, in all of my 4 and a half years at NZ Herald I never accessed my work inbox from home like I do now.
Extremely multi-cultural. I am employed by British people, I am surrounded by British, Australians, and a few Kiwis, Italians, Asians. I do business with Australians, Americans and Asians consequently working in various time zones - Australia, Asia which is 3 hours behind and the US which is a day behind... this explains the extended working hours and days.
Extremely challenging. There is the constant change in team structure and team members. As a matter of fact, as of the 27th of April, I am the last man standing. There's the various projects, big and small... the few successes and the not-so-successful successes (because I see the glass half full) here and there... key accounts to manage which can be demanding of time, energy, brain power, social skills and the highest level of tolerance for alcohol.
A combination of all of the above certainly makes it fun and upsetting, fulfilling and frustrating, rewarding and dangerously addictive.
The abode. Located in a sought-after family oriented suburb... translation: expensive, it is on a quiet street lined with trees, a 5 minute walk to the train station and local shops, 10 minute walk to Cerise's school, 8 minute train journey to my work, half an hour to Edwin's, 3 minute to the main shopping centre, walking distance even. Over here, location DOES matter.
The walking. We do a lot of it these days. Good for the heart, we remind ourselves... in fact, the best, if only to keep ourselves going when the longing for our old drive-to-everywhere-near-or-far lifestyle in New Zealand starts to slow us down or tempts us to hail or phone a cab.
The waiting. We do a lof this too. Long ones... for internet activation, the train, traffic to move, reaching your destination, the mail... but certainly not for time. Indeed, time flies in Sydney.
The weather. Beautiful. Can't complain so much. It amazes me that I'm STILL wearing summer clothes in autumn! I actually sweat over here! Allow me to make that a big deal because Auckland weather makes you forget the existence of sweat glands in your body. I have rediscovered them.
The food. Plenty more choices here. Loving it. Thousands of restaurants are still waiting to be discovered.
The shopping. Brilliant! But customer service is incredibly low-grade.
The tube. My consumption of local tv shows is greater in Sydney. I am now convinced that Australians are funnier and more entertaining than Kiwis. Does this mean I am loving Australians any more than I used to eight years ago? Not necessarily.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home