Sunday, July 17, 2005
On this day:

There's Too Much Sugar In My Muffin

The word "us" in my blog title actually refers to me, Edwin and Cerise. From the onset I decided that my blog was going to, among other things, serve as my way of updating family and friends of our life in New Zealand... in a more discreet way. Instead of inundating their inboxes with my regular emails, some of which could prove to be a nuisance due to huge files of pictures or humdrum accounts on what we've been up to, they can simply visit my blog as and when they please. That way I get to write and upload anything, anytime that suits me. Anyone who is really interested to know about it will know about it; the rest who really can't be bothered are spared. There, everybody happy!

However, I haven't been saying much about my "muffin", have I? That is my husband Edwin, to those who don't know or simply don't get it. It's not that there's not much to say about Edwin nor do I get too caught up with my introspection that I forget to mention what's up with him. It's simply because I'm being extra careful with what and how I write about Edwin. See, mine is a man of few words. He is very private. In fact, I have no doubt in my mind he thinks blogging is not a very sensible thing to do. But I KNOW he thinks it's neat too. He visits my blog regularly AND my friends'! So while he's not about to start his own blog even if you pay him a million bucks, he is a fan to a point... of a chosen few of course.

So how's my muffin anyway? Too much sugar for my liking I'm afraid. Last month, Edwin was diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes. The one-hour, all encompassing discussion with the doctor was frightening yet calming; intimidating yet encouraging; unsettling yet reassuring; devastating yet promising. Indeed, a bizarre mix of positive and negative thoughts and emotions.


We came out of the meeting feeling sad knowing Edwins' got diabetes but also grateful that we've had this red flag and not a sudden stroke or something. He simply saw the doctor because of colds and flu which then led to a general check up and then glucose test. Talk about blessing in disguise.

Being told that diabetes cannot be cured; that it is a progressive condition so that this is the point of no return and it's just going to get worse from here on, was probably the most shocking and terrifying to hear. But what's more important is that we both have taken the challenge to control this condition on board. It's really up to Edwin to slow down the process of the condition getting worse. Put simply, the fate of his health is in our hands. And we say, "bring it on!".

Without delay, Edwin and I have taken the necessary steps to beat this nasty condition. Healthy diet and exercise, the two things he had taken for granted in the last 2 years (just because he could) , are now his main focus every day. The doctor says he has a very good chance of leading a full and active life and he is not about to miss out on that. He started taking medication for cholesterol which he later stopped due to side effects but also, his cholesterol level has gone down to normal within two weeks so there was no need for medication any longer. The goal was for him to lose 12 kgs (we strongly believe that his being overweight triggered the diabetes... but also, it runs in his family). He's lost 9 kgs in just over a month. 3 more and we're there. we've immersed ourselves in research and understanding where we're at and what we can expect in the future. He's attended every single diabetes seminar and diet consultation that was required of him. He tests his blood twice a day and charts his blood sugar level which has gone down to normal in the last 4 weeks.

So are we on the right track? I say absolutely! The irony is, I have been nagging him about his weight and diet for the longest time. And he knew he had to have a healthier lifestyle, as we all do. Evidently, my nagging is not as effective as the recent diagnosis. When he was diagnosed, the natural thing to do would have been to say "I told you so" or just nag him more. But I simply told him that I have nothing to say to him but only to look at Cerise, watch her and think about his diabetes. It worked.

His is a young family and getting sick just because he can't be bothered to eat well and work out is unacceptable. Once, at his diabetes seminar, someone who couldn't believe Edwin lost so much weight in so short a time asked him how he does it. He replied, "I just think of my family". And last night, I offered him Hershey's Kisses with Almonds (his super fave) but he refused, saying, "I look at chocolates and I see your face and that of Cerise, so no, thanks."

Getting off so many of his favourite food and drinks and the pain of working out seemed to be a huge sacrfiice in the beginning but really, it's proven to be the best thing he's done to himself, and consequently for me and Cerise. He's never felt better; he's never looked better.

His next catch up with the doctor is three days from now. We're hoping for good news.


1 Comments:

Blogger allkaput said...

We're also trying to control the sugar in my honey :-) Told him already about your muffin, and we actually had a very serious discussion about his health and how it affects our quality of life. The discussion was prompted by that nice chat we had, so I have you to thank for it :-D

All our best wishes to Edwin. I'm sure his severe nurse will make sure that he shapes up!

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home