My Crowning Glory in Peril
When asked who are the important people in my life, naturally, i say my husband and daughter, immediate family, friends.... until last night, when I made a phone call to Servilles (the hair salon I've been going to for two and a half years now) to book a quick fringe cut with KATE, my hairdresser for two and a half years.
Imagine how heartbroken I was when the lady on the other line said Kate has left them already! I felt crushed, devastated and betrayed that she hadn't contacted me like she promised, to let me know of her departure so that I can get to her wherever she is. Although, she probably thought it was no use coz she's gone back to her hometown in Palmerston North which is probably 5 hours drive from Auckland. Still, I couldn't believe what I heard; couldn't accept it. Panic gripped me. I was speechless but my mind was asking one question after another..... why did she leave?.... why didn't she tell me?.... is she coming back to Auckland and working at another salon?.... if yes, where?.... did she even take note of my contact number?... would she contact me when she does come back to Auckland?.... who's gonna cut my hair now?.... who's gonna do my highlights?.... st!... I don't even know what mixture of colours she puts on my hair!.... chestnut?... hazelnut?... chocolate?... crimson?
It dawned on me that Kate is, a matter of act, in that list of important people in my life. Probably the very very very last in a long list of 100 but nevertheless important. We clicked the first time she did my hair. We know each other's life stories. Each time I see her, she knows exactly where we left our conversation and would pick up from there. She listens to me and understands exactly what I want and need. Even when I struggle to explain clearly what and how I want things done, she always manages to get it right. ALWAYS! Now that is something you don't find everyday. So even if to lionize her in this manner is sooo shallow and such a sickening exaggeration, I dare do it.
The lady on other line, sensing my shock and disappointment, assured me that she will refer me to someone who is as good. Yet, the name and gender didn't even register in my mind! I'm certain she said the name was Francis or was it Frances? So does that make him a her or her a him?
Tomorrow I meet that person. I take solace in thinking that he or she MUST do a very good job. Servilles, after all, charges very dearly. Still, these new developments leave me anxious. Perhaps, I should be more cautious this time in getting too attached to a hairdresser for like anyone and anything in this unreassuring world, hairdressers do come and go.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home