anecdotes of today
Another weekend gone. Never long enough. At least today's weather was better, although freezing cold.
Had my nails done while Cerise watched. I told her I was gonna go for colour red this time and she could pick the shade. She loves it when I bounce off ideas with her and I value her opinion. It always amazes me too how we usually have the same preferences. Like a shade of red for my nails. I was already eyeing on this particular one and she picked it out herself! But the funny thing was when the "nail technician" (how professional, huh?) started painting, Cerise gushed and said "Oh, mommy, you look like a mom now!". I could only laugh and hug her.
So what about these "nail technicians". These are immigrants from Asia - possibly Korea or China - who have infiltrated the malls of Auckland, setting up booths and shops and demonstrating dexterity in manicure and pedicure.
Five years ago, I wouldn't have a clue as to where one could get her nails done. Not that I was into that back then. But it was one of those things that left me flabbergasted. Hair salons here do not necessarily offer manicure services. You would have to go to a spa to find one.... an expensive one.
Early this year however, they seemed to have sprouted everywhere in a flash. You could smell the chemicals they use even a mile away. Needless to say, the white people were quick to file complaints (health hazard achuchu) which obviously were addressed without delay for that strong scent from a mile away has miraculously disappeared. Just when I thought they were gonna be banned sooner or later, it's in fact business as usual for these chinese and koreans. Hindi lugi negosyo after all. Which, I must say, is a change that I welcome wholeheartedly.
For one, I have given up on my dream of having the skill to do my own nails like a pro. I much rather pay someone to do the job than torture my nails physically and aesthetically. Two, now I don't have to toy with the idea of hiring the services of a Filipina.... whose gossips I might have to put up with, not to mention the invasive questioning that usually starts with "anong visa mo?"... and that question coming from someone you meet for the first time! Three, I have tried the services of a European and it was incredbily the lousiest job ever I can't even talk about it! And last but not the least, there's simply nothing like the Asian touch. They may not be from my home country but they're still asians in every way, minus the tsismis.
Owing to extensive training on attention to detail and quite possibly the obvious communication barrier, these nail technicians never look up while on the job. They just take your hand gently and work it! Madly! Well actually, they move like one who's dancing the fox trot. Short and long, fast and slow movements. It's almost like feeding your hands into a machine and with a beep, your nails come out beautifully done! Those full 30 minutes, or 45 or 60, depending on what you want done, are spent on keeping their heads bowed down, never taking their eyes away from your nails so that no cuticle escapes them, giving your nails the perfect shape and paint ---- such precision; such quality. They smile at you twice - before and after. They only speak to you twice -- to ask you what you want done and to thank you for your money.
My girlfriends and I once went to this reflexology thing where your mains is a foot massage, head and shoulder massage your entree, and back massage your dessert. It was lovely! None of us wanted to get up and go. We just wanted to spend the night there. Apparently, the shop was owned by a Chinese who provides training back in China and then hires those people as contractors to come here for 3 or 6 months and all they do is massage people's feet. Then they go back and get replaced by a new batch. Hmmmm....asians.... you either hate them or love them!
A white horse balloon was the price for Cerise for behaving so well during my half an hour of vanity. I mean, really, she's begged for it like 4 times. So that makes it every 8 minutes on average.
And just an update on Cerise's phonetics and spelling skills.... coz as we all know..... learning doesn't, never, shouldn't stop....
Have you ever, in your entire life, tried to spell the letter W? Hmmm? Did you ever think that you could actually spell the letter W? Because I didn't! I mean, I was sure that the spelling of W, if any, is simply W.
But boy was I defied by my own offspring.... for in her spelling book, Cerise has put together letters that spelt the letter W and it read...
dbu


1 Comments:
Hahahaha! DBU! Super hilarious Chai! You should contribute that anecdote to Reader's Digest... you know, in their 'Laughter is the best medicine' or 'Life's Like That' section. How cute...
I should be working on an article right this very moment and found your blog as a good excuse not to get down to work. Hehe.
Post a Comment
<< Home