speaking of mother's day...
This is the one day in the year that I truly feel privileged. It used to be my birthday but now it is mother's day because it reminds me of how lucky I am to hold a licence to motherhood. I am in fact humbled by it... to be designated the task of raising a child is such an honour. To experience it with a husband as loving and generous and responsible as mine, it is a gift. I don't buy the lotto religiously but on the rare occasion that I do, I make a wish I'd win the jackpot. Obviously, that hasn't materialized yet but it doesn't matter because I know I've already hit the jackpot the minute I conceived Cerise. Motherhood... parenthood is hard work. It can be overwhelming. From the outside looking in, some people tend to feel sorry or think SHOULD feel sorry for mothers especially when the stress is showing. But if I can be totally honest, the rewards I reap outweigh the exhaustion from hectic schedules; the constant picking up after my daughter; the high blood pressure from losing my temper; the missing out on a more active ME time or a few socials with single friends. I don't think I can ever accurately describe the joy of watching Cerise grow; knowing her inside out; celebrating her strenghts and understanding her vulnerability; collecting anecdotes of Cerise's wit and humour, I can make a fortune by sending them to Reader's Digest's "Laughter is the Best Medicine". Nor are there words to describe the kind of peace I get from that mother-and-child bond and unconditional love that I've only come to comprehend the moment I met Cerise; that is as strong when we're together as when we're apart. Some say "I don't know how she does it" making us, mothers, appear to be heroes. But I'm no hero. How do I do it? How do I get weary and worn out or angry and frustrated then let some minutes pass or wake up the next day and happily choose to be a mother all over again? It is only with THAT joy, peace, love and the better understanding of myself and of what's most important in life through the teachings of motherhood that I do it... that I CAN do it. Without these rewards, it is impossible. And contrary to what some people might think, I say motherhood is the key to good health and well-being. Highly recommended.
To Cerise and muffin, thank you for ... YOU... and the breakfast and the dinner and the card and the Bluetooth... The present and special treatment definitely put the icing on the cake!


1 Comments:
Envious! xx
Post a Comment
<< Home