more flashback

And here I am, the Matron of Honour. Adrenalin rush. I remember thinking "Oh wow! The fairy lights go well with the colour of dawn. Love the effect! How do you actually walk as Matron of Honour? Do I look straight or acknowledge guests I walk passed? Do I smile or keep my teeth out of sight? Edwin had better be filming me right now and he'd better not miss Cerise's walk down the aisle either. Uhmmm.... where do I go again?" Our roles had been reversed on this occasion you see. He was the camera man and I was a member of the entourage. Lack of sleep can do your head much damage and my speech said it all. I think I went on and on and on about random things when all I had to do was give a toast. I would have remembered that if I was holding a glass of champagne in my hand and not a microphone while the camera rolled in front of me. Oh yes, we were having breakfast so alcohol was out of the question.
I just remembered the funniest thing. At the reception, over breakfast, I had to have my caffeine fix. So I ordered coffee from this man who was maybe in his late 40's. I wasn't sure if he was a waiter but I assumed anyway. The black coffee came. A confirmation, thank goodness, that the man was indeed a waiter. Being a flat white and caramel macchiato addict that I am, I politely clarified with the waiter that I actually wanted milk with my coffee. Seconds later, the waiter came back with would you believe... a half opened tin can of Carnation evaporated milk! The waiter casually handed it to me like it's the most normal thing to do in this social event. The can was even dripping so that I had to hold it with only my thumb and forefinger. I didn't think he was serious at all... "surely he was kidding", I thought.... "this must be some kind of a practical joke"... "I must be being punked".... until the waiter walked away, leaving me dumbfounded and confused as to what to do. Edwin and I looked at each other in disbelief then laughed until our belly ached and no sound came out of our mouth. I poured my milk into my coffee with a tear of joy escaping my eye. Oh that was just classic! When in Manila, it is imperative to carry with you a good sense of humour.
The YUMULs with the newlyweds, Wowell and Pia - the couple that launched my matchmaking career. When I hooked them up on a blind date in 1998, I honestly didn't think for one second they'd make it this far. Wowell, my work colleague at the time, needed a date to go see a stage play so he asked me. I refused because I was dating a jealous guy at the time. Wowell said that was a lame excuse and therefore I had to find him a date. He bugged and bugged me when suddenly it crossed my mind that I had just phone my friend Pia (way back from my highschool days) minutes earlier who clearly needed a break from her stressful job. Before hanging up, I reminded Pia to take it easy, take a break and get out for her own sake. I thought it nice to follow through that. So the date was set purely for the convenience of all parties --- Wowell got a date, an intelligent one as per his requirement and who was into live theatre so his purchase on an extra ticket didn't go to waste; Pia could no longer make her busy work schedule an excuse for not going out; I got Wowell off of my back and felt better knowing that my girlfriend was finally getting a much needed break. I knew too well they wouldn't be able to stand each other but "it's only one night. a one-off date", I thought. Evidently, Mr. Cupid was determined to meet his quota of love struck couples that night. Seven years on and this couple is stronger than ever. The wedding was beautiful. Who would have thought we'd be posing for a photo like the above. Oh, and there's sleep-deprived Cerise who'd become grumpy by this time she was in no mood for photoshoot.
Here's the entourage. With their help and that of a few others, I managed to pull off a successful bridal shower for Pia that also involved Wowell. Based on the format of my favourite reality TV show "The Amazing Race" the couple went running and driving around town to places of significance to their relationship, finding clues, performing tasks and getting rewards. Hard work but fun fun fun.
Here are my dearest friends I grew up with who are part of the reason why coming home to Manila is always worthwhile and worth the airfaires.






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home